Anyway, that's besides the point. I'm trying to make this copy and paste thing work for blogger. Because I did write a journal about my first day in Sri Lanka.
Ahh, it didn't work. But I want to share it so much that I don't mind rewriting it.
_______
Sri Lanka Day 1, 5:40 pm, 18.08.08
"Yallah" a woman wrapped in black gently spoke to me. It is obvious by the clothes she wore that she was an Arab. She had stopped and blocked the line of eager passengers and held out a hand offering me to go ahead of her in the line. I flash a smile of gratitude and thank her as I hastily got up and joined the line in front of her.
With my little knowledge of Arabic language, I know that 'yallah' means 'come on' or 'let's go'. I also know that 'thank you' is 'shukran' but it slipped my mind when I wanted to thank her.
I didn't know that the Arabs were such a gentle community. Or maybe I did generalize them as rough and rude. But this act of kindness managed to change my perspective of judging and generalizing people. I guess you really can learn something as you travel and visit places.
The trip to Sri Lanka via Sri Lankan airlines were short and filled with me reading Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn, the fourth book in the Twilight saga. I was seperated with the rest of my family due to booking the plane tickets late. But I somehow enjoyed it. It was an opportunity for me to feel more independent thinking that I was traveling alone. It is suddenly my number one wish on my wish list: to travel alone.
I almost did fly back alone for my flight back to Kuala Lumpur from Sri Lanka. I was suppose to catch the Choral Speaking competition on Saturday morning. Thus, I had to fly back alone earlier than my family. I hesitated for a while but after a few while after handling the news, I felt excited. And then, the opportunity was grabbed away from me when my mom decided that I had to cancel my participation in the Choral Speaking Competition and fly back the same time as them.
Now I'm in the couch or mini bus -whichever you'd like to call it- on the way to fetch my dad in Colombo.
I'll be updating later, I hope.
________
Sooo... Didn't sound so bad aint it?
Haih, now I'm almost finishing Breaking Dawn. About 200 pages to go. And I could finish it all in one day. Yet, I'm trying to preserve it for another 3 days, so that I have something to read on the flight on the way home.
But it seemed almost impossible. The temptation to keep on reading is just too strong.
Thank god I have this internet thing. :)
Okay, I think I'll go and do add math or something.
♥ SC
No comments:
Post a Comment